Nearby Attractions

Giant's Causeway

Planning a visit to the Giant's Causeway soon? Why not book online in advance to save time (and money). Flanked between the wild North Atlantic Ocean and a landscape of dramatic cliffs, for centuries the Giant's Causeway has inspired artists, stirred scientific debate and captured the imagination of all who see it. Made up of an undulating network of approximately 40,000 basalt columns projecting into the ocean, the Giant's Causeway forms several miles of Northern Ireland's Causeway Coastal route. Cracked perfectly like ice on a frozen lake, inquiring minds have marvelled at the regularity of the stones' shape and the vastness of their number. Science, of course, holds the answers to most of these questions but in the days before scientists there were storytellers.


Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge is a famous rope bridge near Ballintoy in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. The bridge links the mainland to the tiny island of Carrickarede. It spans 20 metres and is 30 metres above the rocks below.



Bushmills Distillery

The Bushmills distillery has had its fair share of visitors these past few hundred years, now over 120,000 each year (and that's not counting our resident ghost, The Grey Lady). And of all the living souls I have encountered, every one of them leaves with a smile on their face and a spring in their step, mind you, that might just be from the fumes as we hand craft our Bushmills.


Dunluce Castle

For the archetypal fantasy castle, you have to visit the Antrim coast and seek out the ruins of Dunluce. Perched on sheer basalt cliffs, Dunluce appears to be on the verge of toppling into the water far below. And at times in the past, it has!
In 1639 the Earl of Antrim and his wife were startled by a loud crash; the kitchen had simply fallen into the sea, taking several servants with it. Only a kitchen boy survived, sitting quietly in the corner. Unsurprisingly, the lady of the house refused to live in the castle any longer, but it still stands today defiant in the face of gravity.
Sounds like an inspirational kind of place, doesn’t it? Dunluce’s romantic, desolate setting is said to have shaped C.S. Lewis’s descriptions of Cair Paravel in his Narnia books. Led Zeppelin also featured it on the artwork for the Houses of the Holy album. Who knows what Dunluce might inspire in you?


The Dark Hedges

In about 1775 James Stuart built a new house, named Gracehill House after his wife Grace Lynd. Over 150 beech trees were planted along the entrance road to the estate, to create an imposing approach. According to legend, the hedges are visited by a ghost called the Grey Lady, who travels the road and flits across it from tree to tree. She is claimed to be either the spirit of James Stuart's daughter (named "Cross Peggy") or one of the house's maids who died mysteriously, or a spirit from an abandoned graveyard beneath the fields, who on Halloween is joined on her visitation by other spirits from the graveyard.



Portstewart Strand

Portstewart Strand is a sandy, two-mile long beach in Portstewart. It is situated between the popular seaside resort of Portstewart and the mouth of the River Bann, known as the Barmouth and is one of the top 10 visitor attractions in Northern Ireland. It is owned and managed by the National Trust and is a Blue Flag beach in recognition of high standards of beach management and water quality. Cars can be brought onto the beach and parked on the strand. When the National Trust purchased the beach in 1980, it allowed this long-standing tradition to continue. The beach attracts up to 180,000 visitors every year.



Portstewart Harbour

The eastern end of the Promenade has a small harbour which has recently undergone refurbishment. The harbour and scenic coastal paths form an Atlantic promenade leading to 2 miles of golden strand.


Mussenden Temple

Mussenden Temple is a small circular building located on cliffs near Castlerock. Perched on the cliffs overlooking Downhill Strand, it was once possible to drive a carriage around the temple. The forces of nature over the years brought it closer to the edge. The temple was built in 1785 and forms part of the Downhill Demesne. The demesne was formerly part of the estate of Frederick, 4th Earl of Bristol, who served as the Church of Ireland Lord Bishop of Derry from 1768 until 1803. It was Lord Bristol – popularly known as "the Earl-Bishop" – who had the "temple" built. Constructed as a library and modelled from the Temple of Vesta in the Forum Romanum in Rome, it is dedicated to the memory of Bishop Lord Bristol's cousin Frideswide Mussenden.